Saturday, August 20, 2011

But I still haven't found what I'm looking for...

Most of you who know me probably know that my favorite guilty pleasure is a little reality tv franchise known as The Bachelor (and also The Bachelorette and Bachelor Pad).  For some reason, even though I know it usually doesn't work out in the end, I just can't stop watching.  I confess that I did miss the first couple of seasons (and possibly one or two others along the way...cough cough Byron), but for the most part I am a loyal viewer. 

Now if you know me well then you probably also know that I am a bit of a skeptic when it comes to fairytale endings in real life.  Some may call that being bitter or cynical, but I prefer to think of it as being a realist.  Hear me out before you navigate away...even a skeptic can be proven wrong every now and again. 

So on Monday night I was actually quite annoyed with myself because I forgot to set up my DVR to record the current season of Bachelor Pad (little did I know the best part was yet to come).  I flipped over just in time to see Chris Harrison announce that 2 girls would be eliminated this week and the ensuing strategy/drama as a result of this shocking announcement.  At the rose ceremony we all knew it would come down to either Ella or Jackie getting the boot (yes I am actually blogging about this show)...and luckily Ella made a last minute alliance that kept her safe for one more week.  Alas, it was Jackie who had to leave.  And for those of you who haven't been watching this season Jackie had been getting to know sweet Ames while in the house of crazy.  What happened after she learned she would be leaving shocked me (in a good way) and was possibly the best/sweetest/most romantic thing I've ever seen on any season of The Bachelor franchise.  That's saying a lot after 15 seasons of the Bachelor, 7 seasons of The Bachelorette and 1 season of Bachelor Pad.  The clip below speaks for itself...I know it's a little long, but watch and I promise you'll know what I'm talking about.


When I first saw Ames on the most recent season of The Bachelorette, he seemed like a very smart but very vanilla guy.  And then as he started getting more camera time I grew to love his charm and clever wit, he really was quite funny.  So I was a bit surprised when I learned he was going to be on Bachelor Pad...because let's be honest, nice people don't really stand much of a chance on that show.  And as I watched the scene above unfold on Monday night, it made me realize that maybe there are knights in shining armor still out there.  I've watched it a couple of times since then as well (is that weird?) and I can barely hold back the tears. 

Tears.  Over a silly reality tv show.  But it isn't the show that got to me, it's the fact that deep down we all (women) want what we claim not to need.  A man who loves us and is willing to fight, or in this case give up a shot at $250k, for us.  And to be honest I don't think there's anything wrong with that. 

So thanks for the reminder Ames...even this skeptic was convinced (if only for a moment) that there is someone out there willing to fight for me.  Until then I'll be patiently waiting for my red pants wearing knight in shining armor. 

"I have run, I have crawled, I have scaled these city walls, these city walls, only to be with you...but I still haven't found what I'm looking for..." U2

No comments:

Post a Comment