Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A non-traditional love story...

So yesterday mom and I went to see 500 Days of Summer. And I will tell you now that if you haven't seen it yet, there are some spoilers ahead!

I guess I knew going into it that it wasn't going be a traditional romantic comedy where things end in happily ever after...at least not what we've grown up thinking is happily ever after...you know the "Walt Disney" version. And to be honest...it was refreshing! I loved that the "narrator" (for lack of a better term) even warns you that it's not a story of boy meets girl.

It's funny that as we grow up (and this probably applies mostly to little girls) we watch movies that make us believe in fairytales. And we begin to form these ideals about how life is supposed to turn out...in a world that makes falling in love seem so easy, almost magical. But it's not. It's complicated. At least for the large majority of us it is. I think Summer says it best in the movie...Tom asks her why her past relationships haven't worked out and she simply replies that life got in the way. Or something along those lines. And it's so true!

What I loved most about the movie is even though they don't end up together, they are both better off because of each other. I know that sometimes we don't see things this way when something we thought would last comes to an end...and there are definitely those relationships that take a long time to get over...but I think each person leaves a special mark on our lives. Sadly, it may not always be something positive...there are people that do more damage than good...but it's all a part of who we are. And you have to learn to appreciate it for what it was. Even if it was only a brief glimpse of something great. Even if it ended in heartache. Even if it caused you to question love.

At least that's how I feel about it anyway. It is better to have tried and failed than to never have tried at all. To put yourself completely out there only to be rejected. It may hurt at the time, but nothing worth having is ever easily achieved.

And with that, if you choose to watch this non-traditional love story, I hope you can appreciate it for what it is, and not wish it's something it's not.

1 comment:

  1. I love the movie as well. It's so true that sometimes relationships don't work out and change you forever. The only one that works out is the last one.

    Keep up the blogging, I've been doing mine for about a year now and have really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete